Thursday 30 March 2017

Hobbies and Lacy Under-Things

"You need a hobby" he said.

It was said in the middle of a mini-argument. The details aren't important, but you know the kind - there was nothing actually wrong, and we weren't actually fighting, but things were tense. I had probably just brought up the budget or had criticized something he had done with Elliott. At least I'm guessing that's how it started, because this was his point- all I ever think about is the budget or parenting. And so therefor all we ever seem to talk about is the budget or parenting. And so therefor we have a lot of conversations that sound the same.... nothing is wrong, but it doesn't feel quite right either. As a side note - who knew that parenting would be something that we disagree the most on? Sheesh, I think I'll need to write an entire post on just that.

He's not wrong and I know it. I need a hobby. See, we are actually quite alike, him and I. We both love to read and learn and research the things that interest us. Chris is one of the most interesting humans I know because he changes his interests almost yearly. He learns all he can. He enjoys the hobby. And then eventually, he moves on. And then it's all brand new to him again- I think he loves the brand new-ness of it all. I admire and love his passion. My passion tends to be where I spend most of my time, and so it's no surprise that I read a lot about parenting. I also happen to spend a lot of time..... parenting. Whether you work in or out of the home I think we can all agree that parenting is a full time job. Raising emotionally healthy, well adjusted, confident, resilient little humans that eat all the food, sleep all night and behave in public... well, let's not create too many unattainable goals.

Ah, but let's not forget! As Mom's we need to focus on self care so we don't burn out. So make sure you take time for yourself. Take a bath. Go for coffee. Enjoy a walk outside in the fresh air. And remember it isn't just about you- your husband was there before kids and will be there after kids, so you need to nurture that relationship too. Date nights! Sex! Well, I don't know about you, but between raising the small people, planning and going on date nights, shopping for lacy under-things that aren't too trashy, but aren't too boring either, and hitting my bubble bath quota for the week. Well, I just don't know when I have time to take up knitting.

Sometimes I feel passionate about things I am good at, like making delicious meals, keeping the house clean and organized, and keeping our budget on track. The problem with that is that these aren't exactly conversation pieces, and in this current season of life, I feel like I've been lacking in all departments. And as hard as I try to snap myself out of it- find just the right Pinterest pin to reorganize the kitchen, the budget, the junk drawer... my life.. I just can't seem to find the excitement that comes with the brand new-ness of it all. Even the thought of moving to a new house to decorate is leaving me slightly underwhelmed.

I don't have the answer yet. I think that Jesus does, but so far I haven't been able to get it out of him... That's funny, right? Like I'm picturing Jesus there with a secret and he's choosing not to share it with me? Ha! Obviously, this couldn't be further from the truth, but the visual is a bit funny, no?

Anyways... if ya'll will excuse me, I'm off to buy some new bubble bath.


No comments:

Post a Comment