Tuesday 17 January 2012

"The List" Progress aka... we made goat cheese!

So if you remember, I made a list on my birthday of 26 things I'd like to do in my 26th year of life.

Recently I took a look at the list to check in and see how I was doing. Oddly enough, Chris and I had just decided to make homemade goat cheese (we even had all the ingredients and supplies!) Once I remembered it was on my list, I got really excited, and so off we went.

So first of all we heated up 2 L of goat's milk. When I tell people about this, everyone's first question is where on earth we got goat's milk. Sadly no, we do not have a pet goat. Totally considering it though.


But for reals, you can get it anywhere. Pretty sure we picked ours up at Wal-Mart.

Ok, so heat up the goat's milk to 175 degrees F

Next, turn off the burner, and slowly add 1/4 cup vinegar.


It will start to separate right away. 

 See?

 Give it a minute or two, then pour it all into a cheesecloth, with a strainer underneath.

 You can stir it around a bit to try to move the whey out, but be careful not to tear the cheesecloth.
 After only a few minutes we lifted it up and tied the cloth into a knot
 We hung it over the pot so it could drip some more. I think we left it there for about 30 minutes.
 And then Ta Da!! It's cheese! 

 We mixed in salt to taste, some fresh cracked paper and fresh basil. I couldn't believe how tasty it was.
 We promptly toasted up some crostini and voila! The exact opposite of what I should be eating while in a weight loss competition. 
 It was so delicious and worth every last calorie!


So that's all for tonight because my husband needs the computer for studying, (what's that about?) but I assure you more things on the list have been done, and more blogs are sure to come. In fact, I just took my first batch of granola bars out of the oven mere minutes ago. Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment