Tuesday 9 June 2015

Slowly Getting My Head Above Water

I miss doing things for other people. Or maybe I should say that I miss feeling like I want to, or can.

I love being the person who anonymously drops off a small gift for a friend, or makes cookies for someone going through a hard time. I like to be able to make a meal for someone who has suffered a loss, or a batch of granola bars for a new mom. It's not just about stuff either- I enjoy calling up a friend who seems to be in a tough time and asking them if they need anything, if just an ear to listen. I like to make people feel as though they have been seen and heard, and it really fills my cup when I'm able to do so.
I feel like I'm just getting my head above water here, after going though a tough few months. Between sleep deprivation, preparing for and opening a dayhome, and learning what our new normal is, it's been a whirlwind. I think I'm finally settling back into myself again because A- I have a desire to write again, and B- I see a friend with a need and can actually think of how I want to help. I don't think I realized it until now, but I think my plate was so cluttered with extra portions of overwhelmed and anxiety that I forgot to serve up some good old fashioned servitude.

In a way, I have learned something in this last season. I might be alone on this one, but I find it to be a fine line to not let the things I do define my worth. It was a good lesson to realize that if I didn't show up with that homemade quinoa salad that took an hour to make, people wouldn't scoff at my store bought bagged salad. And similarly it is a relief to know that even when I don't bring a hot meal over, people still know I care. 

Still, it feels good to make that extra lasagna for the freezer. You know, just in case.



Like what you've read? Consider following me Facebook, as well as subscribe by email (Top left of this page) so you never miss a post!

Thanks for stopping by :)
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment